Ministry of Labour (MOL March 29, Guidelines)
Employers must report all known positive test results for COVID-19, to:
- the ministry (in writing) within four days
- the joint health and safety representative
- a trade union (if applicable)
It is important that all parties in a workplace communicate their roles and responsibilities. Employers will need to ensure health and safety policies are updated and posted for all employees to see. Using industry resources, including this one and those produced by the Infrastructure Health & Safety Association (IHSA), will improve on-site understanding
Adjust on-site and production schedules
Physical distancing will result in lower staffing on job sites. In order to keep sites open, employers will need to adjust production schedules as the impacts of physical distancing become clear. Owners and trades will need to collaborate to ensure there is a clear understanding of how production will be impacted.
Schedules should consider:
- Limiting number of workers to critical number by staggering work schedules
- Sanitation of sites and workspaces
- Site planning to facilitate appropriate physical distancing (two metres) between workers during any particular shift
- Work-site mobility and transportation, including hoist operations
Track and monitor your workforce
Due to the latency period of COVID-19, it is important to track where employees have worked. If an employee tests positive for COVID-19, the local public health unit will ask employers to provide information on where the employee worked as well as the contact information of any other employee who may have been exposed Employers will track information and Public Health Units will respond. (MOL March 29, Guidelines)
Where possible, the employer should hold safety talks with respect to all of this via email and set your emails to notify when opened thereby giving you a time and date stamp for conducting the “talk”.
The symptoms of COVID-19 are like many other illnesses, including the cold and flu. At this time, it is recommended that any worker who has any symptoms related to cold, flu or COVID-19 should be sent home. In addition, employers should advise these workers to complete the online self-assessment or call either:
- Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-0000
- Their primary care provider (for example, family physician)
MEMBERS – This is not a legal document, but a template you can edit and post on active jobsites – you have a responsibility to post COVID-19 information for active jobsites – please consult with your H and S experts.